Wednesday 22 May 2013


TUTORIAL: SOFT BROWN SMOKE WITH DRAMATIC LINER 





I haven't done a tutorial in a while so I thought I'd post a quick one for you! As long as you've got the right tools you can create a really soft yet dramatic smokey eye with just a few products. 

A staple tool for blending is a fluffy brush, and I get my cheap yet high quality brushes at Crown Brushes. They're amazing value, and so worth it. The brush I used in this tutorial, the "Pro Blending Fluff" can be found here.




 1. Start off by applying a light, pearlescent shimmer shade all over the lid, concentrating on the center. Bring up toward the brow slightly. I used "Virgin" from the Naked Palette by Urban Decay. 


2. Next, apply a matte, buff nude shade above the crease of the eye, blending thoroughly. 


3. Begin to create a more defined crease now by applying a warmer, darker brown just above and into the crease, again blending (and more blending!) to make sure there are no harsh lines and the colours 'melt' together.

4. Start to really smoke up the eye with a deep brown shade, working the colour into the 'outer-v' of the eyelid, bringing some of the residual shadow on the lower lash line. 



5. Create a thick, dramatic cat eye flick using your favourite liquid or gel liner. I used MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack and a fine liner brush. Make sure this is a true, rich black which really brings the look together. 

6. Line the waterline with a white or nude pencil, this opens the eye and makes it appear brighter. I prefer to use a nude liner simply because this is a little more natural and less harsh. 

7. Apply a generous amount of mascara to add drama - I find many thin coats is better than one thick one - to the upper and lower lashes. 
8. If you want to go that extra step further, add some falsies! This is a much less aggravating process if you use tweezers, and let the glue go slightly tacky before applying so the lashes don't 'slide' around the eye. 

Pair this with dewy, bronzed skin and a glossy nude lip and you're good to go! On my face I'm wearing Revlon Colourstay Foundation Oily/Combination, Hoola Bronzer by Benefit, and a mauve-toned shimmery blush from my 10 Blush Palette by BH Cosmetics. On the lips I'm wearing MAC Cremesheen Lipstick in Shy Girl. 


0 comments :