Sunday 23 December 2012


MAKING A STATEMENT: UNI - WHAT'S THE DEALIO?

I was recently reminiscing about my high school days; feeling nostalgic and possibly a little hormonal after finishing my first semester at university. Wild, I know, but that's just the life I live. 

I started to scroll through old Facebook photos, de-tagging a few, getting my stalk on (we all do it...right?) and I came across a stunning little gem - what made me think that horrific amount of make-up was ever acceptable at school? We've all been there; it's year nine, we're fourteen (going on twenty five) and the black eyeliner and foundation lips are coming out to play. Really, guys, we had it goin' on. 

Now, at uni the girls and I make a somewhat mediocre, sometimes poor effort on our 'appearance'; hair piled mindlessly on top of our heads, a bit of mascara (usually in a rush, nearly poking an eye out) and we're done - not looking half bad, but never intending to look at all show stopping - We're just not that bothered. 

The top knot: A student's 'on-trend' pseudonym of "Not arsed"
But I, being me, have gradually become slightly uncomfortable making such little effort when stepping out into the big wide world without much, if any, slap on. Perhaps my obsession with make-up and all things pretty hinder my chances of ever having a lie-in AND catching the bus on time, but I really do feel I've let myself down by conforming to the standard, borderline 'scruffy' student vibe that I see a lot of girls working around campus. Not feeling looking like I have literally rolled out of bed and straight into my seat in the lecture hall. 

It could be my acute fear of severely offending the entire population with my bare face, but it's got me split - why am I even bothered? Why am I not bothered enough?! I know for sure that without any my war paint I wouldn't be able to do as much as I usually do day to day - and it's all about the confidence, surely. 

I understand some people could say I'm being rather superficial, and this isn't really a topic worth writing about, but I do find it's difficult to decide whether you keep hitting 'sleep' on your alarm or you go and do yourself up for the day. Especially when you're as lazy as I am. First world problems.

Looking back at those pictures from school make me want to revisit that 14 year old and give her a good scrub, but I'm now struggling for reasons why I shouldn't make an effort for a few hours worth of lectures. I envy the male population. This is a genuine dilemma. 

This rant could be completely futile, or I could actually be onto something here. Are all these students just grubbier, more rugged versions of their former selves? I'm definitely not falling into that trap. Especially since I practically blew my loan on the MAC counter. 


What are your thoughts on 'campus beauty etiquette'? Email me at oliviabeautybijou@gmail.com and be featured in an upcoming post.

Thanks for reading!






0 comments :